Get your new cycling trouser
Cycling Trousers are a fundamental element of a cyclist’s outfit and should be selected carefully as they provide far more than simply conventional trousers. Cycling trousers can protect you from cold temperatures and nasty weather, they can support your muscles and as Cycling Trousers with Pad they feature a chamois which then perceivably optimises comfort on hard saddles. They have to be comfortable and functional and yet they may not restrict you in your freedom of movement.
What types of Cycling Trousers are there?
Cycling trousers are not all the same. There is a wide range of Cycling Trousers for Women, Men and Kids for each and every purpose and of course for any kind of weather.
Classic Cycling Trousers are elastic, padded shorts with straps featuring a tight fit and are usually worn especially by road bikers and ambitious mountainbikers.
These Cycling Shorts, are made from elastic, lightweight Lycra which quickly wicks moisture away and depending on the density of the fabric also provides a reliable compression effect. Compression especially pays off on all long and demanding rides. The muscles are supported and do not become tired as fast and regeneration is improved. The close fit of cycling trousers serves aerodynamics and of course also comfort because they snug your body and do not slide or flutter. It goes without saying that Bib Tights fit better than cycling trousers with an elastic waistband. The only drawback is that putting on and taking off as well as biological breaks are a bit more difficult to manage.
Material and leg length of short or long cycling trousers are determined by their use during the different seasons and temperature ranges. Cycling shorts are worn in spring or summer. On colder days you can combine them with leg warmers to keep you warm. In the period between the seasons with unpredictable weather conditions ¾ Cycling Trousers are used. These are available either made from lightweight Lycra or from warm Lycra fabrics. And when temperatures drop below 10° C you should switch to Cycling Tights made from warm Winterlycra which keeps you warm with a soft fine fleece interior layer.
Cycling Tights – the Allrounder in Nasty Weather and Cold Temperatures
Even though in winter you may train less than in summer the expectation from Cycling Tights are higher than from cycling shorts. The long versions have to keep you warm without overheating, have to protect you from cold wind and water and to be comfortable and stretchy. So there are cycling tights in the following variants:
- Warm and highly breathable made from elastic Winterlycra
- Warm, breathable and water resistant with DWR (durable water repellent) treatment on top of the Winterlycra
- Warm and with wind shield (mostly Softshell) in headwind area, back made from breathable and warm Lycra
- Thermal cycling trousers made completely from windproof, water resistant and warm Softshell for ice-cold and damp weather conditions
- Winterlycra cycling trousers without pad which are worn on top of padded cycling shorts or liner shorts
- Waterproof rain overtrousers, of course without pad
Without wind shield cycling trousers are more breathable and stretchy. Softshell restricts these characteristics. So when choosing you need to know what kind of weather you will be mainly using your trousers in. Cyclists who ride a lot have suitable cycling trousers for all kinds of weather conditions. For cyclocrossers there are cycling shorts made from warm, water resistant Winterlycra because for a fast course they offer a better support without you getting cold.
Vaude Cycling Trousers offer a large variety of products for road cyclists and mountainbikers: Waterproof overtrousers with different leg lengths, unusual, quilted winter shorts and cycling trousers with Softshell front.
Cycling tights with or without pad can be found at Bobshop in both variants for men and women.
Characteristics of high-grade Cycling Trousers
For you to be able to enjoy your cycling trousers for quite some time we have compiled some aspects you should consider when buying them:
- The material must be highly stretchy. The ratio of Elastane informs you about this. The material should also be wear resistant and in case of white trousers more densely woven.
- The fit and the cut of your cycling trousers have to be adapted to the seated cycling posture.
- A reduced number of seams or flatlock seams minimise the risk of skin irritations.
- Leg grippers should not slide but not restrict either.
- The bib must be slightly breathable. It has to stay well in place without restricting.
- The chamois (pad) must feature an ergonomic shape and match your cycling discipline and duration of your rides.
- Reflective elements enhance visibility in traffic situations.
- Some fabrics cycling trousers are made from have been specially treated. They are then water resistant and dirt repellent (DWR) or they reflect sun radiation and prevent overheating (Cold Black)
- Cycling tights should feature an ankle zipper. This facilitates putting them on and taking them off.
The highest priority, in shorts as well as in tights, should be the chamois or pad. Because experiencing pain while you ride does not only prevent you from enjoying but also has a negative effect on your performance. The chamois of cycling trousers are gender specific and made up of several layers and different density zones so that maximum shock absorption and vibration damping are achieved. The structure can be directed inwards as 3D chamois or as smooth chamois towards the saddle. Chamois with perforated foam pads are favourable as they are highly breathable and quickly drying. The surface should have a bacteriostatic effect because cycling trousers are usually worn without underwear. Chamois with gel pads have a very good damping effect and adapt to your body individually. Please consider the duration of the rides the pad is designed for, for a day tour a basic pad will not be sufficient. Chamois are adapted to the specific ergonomic needs of women and men. Temperature or season do not play a role in pads.
Of course choosing the colour and the design of cycling trousers is a question of your individual taste. At Bobshop we offer sets of matching cycling jerseys and trousers, long or short, of the same collection line. With our Bobshop sets you will be perfectly well dressed for your cycling tour and in addition you can save money