Winter Cycling Clothing at Bobshop
“There is no unsuitable weather, there‘s only unsuitable clothing.“ Probably, we all have heard this sentence before. And it holds true not only for our day to day clothing but of course also for winter cycling clothing. No matter whether you are a performance oriented cyclist or you use your bike intensely in everyday life, meanwhile cold and nasty weather no longer presents an obstacle that can keep you from cycling. Because with weatherproof cycling clothing for winter you will be able to cope with all kinds of weather caprioles. Winter cycling clothing is warm, windproof, water resistant and sometimes even completely waterproof. It offers high breathability so you do not overheat when under physical strain and good freedom of movement which could be easily restricted due to the heavy fabrics used. For perfect body climate regulation in winter dressing according to the onion layer principle, wearing several layers of winter cycling clothing on top of each other, is crucial.
Cycling Clothing in Winter – what you need to consider
Winter cycling clothing should be worn in several layers (onion layer principle) on top of each other. This on the one hand enables you to flexibly remove one layer when you get too hot, on the other hand an insulating layer of air is built up in between the different layers. The first layer is underwear (base layer) which keeps your body warm and dry. Technical, synthetic mix fabrics, partly with natural Merino wool, quickly wick perspiration away and dry easily. Good underwear features a reduced number of seams to reduce friction and excellent underwear features additional special and strategically placed fabric textures to provide super-fast body climate management.
Optimal Arrangement of Cycling Clothing in Winter
Depending on the temperatures the second layer could be a Winter Cycling Jacket or in very cold conditions a Long Sleeve Jersey. Long sleeve jerseys generally are made from soft Winterpolyester and feature a warm fine fleece interior. On dry days in between the seasons they suffice as top layer. Some long sleeve jerseys may also be used as base layer, though. The top layer of winter cycling clothing should always be weatherproof. Most Thermal Jackets protect you from cold headwind with a windproof and warm Softshell front, while the back is often made from highly breathable Winterlycra without membrane. Numerous warm and protective accessories complete our winter cycling clothing selection.
Cycling Clothing in Winter for MTB and Road Bike
- 1st layer: Base Layer with different sleeve lengths, if required with wind shielding front
- 2nd layer: Long Sleeve Jersey or Thermal Jacket respectively Bib Tights [cycling trousers winter] with or without wind shield – depending on the temperatures
- 3rd layer: Winter Cycling Jacket or Cycling Vest, respectively Waterproof Trousers – depending on the temperatures and weather
- Plus many convenient accessories and additional equipment such as cycling shoes, shoe covers, Cycling Gloves for Winter, Head Wear
Mountainbike cycling clothing is perfectly well suitable for city, tour or your daily commute to work as well. MTB Winter Jackets allow sufficient space for wearing clothing underneath and some even feature hoods. MTB Winter Trousers are robust cover trousers made either completely from Softshell or at least feature a windproof membrane in the headwind area. They offer sufficient space for padded liner trousers or, on very cold days, for Winter Cycling Trousers.
Purchasing your Winter Cycling Clothing – Ice-Crystals show you the Way
MTB cycling clothing for winter often is completely waterproof and equipped with bonded seams. Because when riding in rough terrain your clothing requires protection not only from water but also from dirt. MTB fabrics in general are more robust so they do not rip immediately in case of an accident or when you get caught in small branches. Complete your MTB winter cycling clothing with waterproof and warm shoe covers and Winter Cycling Gloves and warm head wear. With such a complete outfit you can perfectly enjoy your trail in white winter landscapes.
The demand on winter cycling clothing is really high for performance oriented road bikers: clothing must feature an aerodynamic, tight fit, it should not restrict your freedom of movement, moisture and body heat must be able to escape easily, water and cold temperatures need to be kept out. And all that needs to be provided simultaneously … no wonder new specific fabrics and details are designed each and every season to meet these ever increasing demands. Often it is a mix of fabrics and features such as vents, bonded seams, Stretch panels and hems, Primaloft paddings, all kinds of Softshells and the classic, elastic Winterlycras that define the quality of winter cycling clothing. Different material thicknesses are used and specific materials are strategically placed. This way a wide range of road bike winter clothing is available for all temperature ranges and for any weather.
Whether for road bike, MTB, tour or city, Winter Cycling Clothing for Women only differs marginally from Winter Cycling Clothing for Men. The technical features are the same, print and fit of course are more feminine.
Within our huge selection of winter cycling clothing you can easily get lost in our online shop. Bobshop assists you in your search and shows you using ice-crystals as icons in the article description for which temperature range the respective winter cycling garment is suitable:
- Winter Cycling Clothing with 1 Ice-Crystal - Ideal cycling clothing for in between the seasons. On cold days recommendable with underwear only (low protection from cold temperatures)
- Winter Cycling Clothing with 2 Ice-Crystals - This cycling clothing is highly breathable and warm. Perfect for one digit temperatures or for highly sweat inducing, intense rides in cold conditions. (medium protection from cold temperatures)
- Winter Cycling Clothing with 3 Ice-Crystals - Windproof and weathertight cycling clothing for winter. Comprehensive features with wind shielding membrane and thermal insulation. Developed for temperatures around zero. (high protection from cold temperatures)
- Winter Cycling Clothing with 3+ Ice-Crystals - maximum protection from cold temperatures for ice-cold days. Absolute wind protection with extra warm insulation. (very high protection from cold temperatures)
The following articles are categorised by Bobshop according to their degree of protection from cold temperatures:
- Cycling jackets
- Cycling trousers
- Cycling gloves
- Cycling shoes
- Cycling shoe covers
For all these winter articles you can preset your search filter by degree of protection from cold temperatures in our online shop. This simple system helps you maintain a good overview and find what you need really quickly!