Bike shorts for mountain bike, downhill or the next bike tour
They are casual, fashionable, robust and comfortable. Bike Shorts are ideal for mountain biking, touring and for rides in the city. Cyclists who do not participate in competitions and for whom fractions of seconds are not important, who are either relaxed or adventurous when riding in nature usually prefer the wider bike shorts over tight fitting Lycra cycling trousers. Bike shorts meet the demands on cycling clothing for either dare-devil off-road rides or leisure-time and everyday cycling.
Bike Shorts - Compelling due to Casual Functionality
Probably everyone has several shorts in their wardrobe which they wear in everyday life and for different leisure-time activities in summer. Do you then need extra bike shorts for cycling? Yes, absolutely! Perhaps not for short stretches but on long distances you cycle on a regular basis, for trips, cycling holidays and of course on all mountainbike trails bike shorts are simply indispensable. What makes them so different?
- The fit: Bike shorts feature a fit which is adapted to the seated posture on bike. In the back they are higher for them to cover and protect the lower back region. The crotch is set lower to allow for padded liner shorts. And often you will find bike shorts with legs longer in the front than in the back so the legs will not creep up while riding.
- The material: Bike shorts are mostly made from lightweight and elastic functional fabrics. These fabrics are robust due to their tightly knit structure so they will survive contact with branches or a fall. In the seat area bike shorts often feature a wear resistant material. The fabrics do not absorb moisture, they quickly wick perspiration to the surface and they dry quickly thus permanently keeping your body dry. In many shorts a DWR coating of the material lets water, spray or dirt simply drip off.
- Special features in bike shorts:
- Width-adjustable hem, often with a warm lining to prevent friction and quickly wick perspiration away
- Different reflective elements which enhance visibility in traffic
- Removable liner shorts with a comfortable chamois for long distances
But apart from functionality of course the looks also play a major role in bike shorts. In this respect bike shorts are no different from fashionable everyday shorts. Whether you prefer a striking print design or flashy colours or favour rather muted colours which easily match bike shirts, at Bobshop you get to choose. You will find women’s bike shorts with many different leg lengths and fashionable colours. Under men’s bike shorts you will find shorts for many off road themes starting with classic mountainbike shorts to robust Enduro shorts or extra wide downhill shorts which offer space for body armour.
Mountainbike Shorts - Comfortable and Robust for any Trail
No matter what you like, riding through the gentle hills or the mountains, whenever the path is far from any asphalt, when you ride through the shrubbery or over stones your equipment certainly should include reliable mountainbike shorts. Apart from the features already mentioned you can tell performance oriented mountainbike shorts from bike shorts by the following convenient features:
- Numerous pockets, slot pockets but also zipped pockets, offer storage capacity in addition to your backpack on long rides.
- Zippable ventilation eyelets in front, often lined with mesh or in combination with a pocket as double functionality, allow for a cool current of air on sweat-inducing rides.
- The integrated liner shorts in mountainbike shorts feature a special MTB chamois which is adapted to the more upright seated posture and has a highly shock absorbing effect.
- In the back and groin area you will often find stretch panels which provide optimum freedom of movement.
- The width of the legs in mountainbike shorts is wider so body armour will fit underneath if needed.
- Knickers have preshaped knee constructions so they reliably protect your knees from scratches and abrasions.
Popular brands for mountainbike shorts are Vaude, Maloja, Endura and Scott. Maloja and Vaude bike shorts are especially appealing to young lovers of nature and those who have remained young. They link MTB sports with a casual way of living close to nature. Maloja bike shorts usually do not include liner shorts as they are also suitable for other outdoor activities. At Bobshop you can find padded liner shorts for mountainbike shorts in our underwear brand sections.
Scott bike shorts are very popular among Scott cyclists. On the one hand they perfectly match the entire collection design and on the other hand these bike shorts are ideal for performance-oriented mountain bikers due to their highly technical features. Scott bike trousers are available with different leg lengths and for different MTB disciplines.
Bike Trousers for all Weather Conditions
Especially Endura has a good reputation when it comes to weathertight and durable bike trousers. Endura bike shorts are made exactly for the rough conditions of their Scottish homeland. Nearly all Endura bike trousers feature a water resistant DWR coating. Apart from that Endura also offers waterproof rain bike trousers with all possible leg lengths. The bike rain trousers feature a water column of 10,000 mm and are highly breathable. It goes without saying that all seams are welded and waterproof. A very convenient variant: the long legged zip-off bike trousers by Endura. Right above the knees the legs can be removed via zips quickly and easily. This way the long bike trousers turn into bike shorts within seconds.
In combination with leg warmers or long cycling trousers made from warm Winterlycra bike shorts can also be worn between the seasons before the long bike trousers made from softshell become the right choice.