For cyclists who ride their bikes on a daily basis even in winter or for athletes who want to stay in shape over the winter season to be prepared for the upcoming competition season warm winter cycling jackets are an absolute must-have. Winter cycling jackets not only keep your body warm. Their cut is perfectly adapted to the seated cycling posture and the respective movements. No leisure-time jacket can offer that. We now want to point out to you the benefits of a winter cycling jacket.
The most Important Features of a Winter Cycling Jacket
Cycling jackets for winter should keep you warm but prevent overheating. They should be windproof but at the same time breathable. Winter cycling jackets should be compact and yet lightweight and feature a stretchy fabric. A functional winter cycling jacket will perfectly meet the following requirements:
- At least in the headwind area the material of a winter cycling jacket is made from a 3-layer Softshell: smooth and water resistant outer surface, windproof membrane and warm fine fleece inside. These modern types of Softshell materials are elastic and also breathable. The cyclist’s movements are not restricted by winter cycling jackets. Performance oriented cyclists who transpire more appreciate winter cycling jackets with panels made from Winterlycra. Winterlycras are highly elastic and extremely breathable without membrane. Moisture is wicked away very quickly. Winterlycras also feature a warm and soft fine fleece. More and more insulating paddings (e.g. Primaloft) are used in especially sensitive or exposed areas of winter cycling jackets.
- The fit of a winter cycling jacket is adapted to the ergonomics of the seated posture on bike. The front is held shorter so it doesn’t bulge and the back is longer so your lower back is covered and protected. The shoulder-and-sleeve construction of a warm cycling jacket adjusts to the arms pointing forward. And the stand-up collar is longer in the front area than in the neck as the head is slightly bent backwards due to the seated posture. The aim is to cover arms and torso while not compromising comfort or freedom of movement. In addition a winter cycling jacket should also meet the demands of certain energy-saving aerodynamics.
- Hem and sleeve ends of a cycling jacket are aimed at keeping the jacket well in place and preventing thermal bridges. This is why they are always elastic and especially at the back hem silicone prints provide extra grip. Winter cycling jackets with a membrane which is not only windproof but also water resistant usually also feature waterproof, tight sleeve ends so water cannot penetrate.
- Three rear pockets are minimum for winter cycling jackets. Many feature additional zipped pockets for valuables at the chest or sides of the jacket. The rear pockets usually offer enough space for additional warmers or convenient accessories.
- Reflective elements are important especially in reflective winter cycling jackets because they provide enhanced visibility of the cyclist in low light conditions or in the dark.
Winter cycling jackets therefore are highly particular and should not be missing in the wardrobe of frequent riders or athletes.
Winter Cycling Jackets for Road Biking and Mountainbiking
For road cyclists who train during the cold season a tight-fitting and highly breathable winter cycling jacket is essential. Road bike jackets for winter feature an even more extreme cut since road cyclists tend to bend down even more to reduce drag as much as possible. And concerning the material these winter cycling jackets are also special because they aim at striking the perfect balance between insulation and a balanced body climate. Here Castelli winter jackets are among the best winter cycling jackets ever. Because Castelli permanently develops and tests new fabrics, technologies and also cut designs to be able to offer best possible support to road cyclists. So here cyclists will also find warm road bike rain jackets meaning waterproof winter cycling jackets for not only cold but also wet conditions.
MTB winter jackets on the other hand feature a rather wide cut to leave sufficient space for garments worn underneath and they are not so extremely adapted to the seated cycling posture. The surface of these winter cycling jackets feature all-round water resistant protection since they also need to protect you from dirt and mud splashes when riding off road. Both material and construction are more robust. We can wholeheartedly recommend Vaude winter jackets because of their sophisticated thermal insulation, often with Primaloft padding, protection from nasty weather and freedom of movement. In addition Vaude is compelling due to their ecologically sustainable production procedures.
Find the Right Winter Cycling Jacket for the Right Temperatures
Not all winter seasons are the same, the climate is changing and the weather is often unpredictable so winter cycling jackets feature different types of insulation. Bobshop categorises its winter cycling jackets with crystals:
- Cycling jackets with 1 crystal - perfect winter cycling jacket for the time in between the seasons. Recommendable with one layer underneath (jersey or base layer) on cold days. (low thermal protection)
- Cycling jackets with 2 crystals – winter cycling jacket focussing on breathability. Often features windproof front and breathable back. Ideal for temperatures in the one-digit range or for highly sweat-inducing cycling tours in cold temperatures. (medium thermal protection)
- Cycling jackets with 3 crystals – windproof and weatherproof winter cycling jacket for cold winter days. Comprehensive technical features such as wind shielding membrane and thermal insulation, some jackets are also waterproof. Developed for temperatures around zero. (high thermal protection)
- Cycling jackets with 3+ cristals - maximal thermal protection for ice-cold days. Absolute wind shield with extra-warm insulation. (very high thermal protection)
Within our online shop winter cycling jackets can be filtered by thermal protection so that you can very quickly find the model you are looking for.